Did you know that January is National Soup Month? Why not celebrate with this scrumptious recipe from Cooking Them Healthy! It makes the perfect lunch or light winter dinner…delicious!
Butternut, Chilli & Coconut Soup – Serves 4
Butternut squash is rich in immune boosting beta-carotene and vitamin C. Ginger and chilli provide wonderful warming support for the respiratory system. Coconut holds a wealth of health benefits including plenty of good fats, as well as unique antibacterial properties in the form of monolaurin and lauric acid.
- 1cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and pasted
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped into pieces about 1 inch thick
- 1 small mild chilli, finely chopped (check on your tongue for heat levels)
- 250ml vegetable or chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- ½ can coconut milk (approx 200ml)
- Chopped coriander and a sprinkle of paprika to serve
- Melt a little coconut oil in a medium saucepan and cook your onion until soft. Next add in your garlic and ginger and cook for no more than a minute. Then the butternut chunks and chopped chilli. Give everything a good stir and add in the stock.
- Place a lid on and cook for 10-15 minutes until butternut is cooked through.
- Take off the heat and pulse with a hand blender until smooth. Finally add in the coconut milk.
- Garnish with coriander and paprika and serve.
- For adults this is delicious with a pinch of salt.